In every grade school gym class and at least once during every drop-in exercise class at local training facilities, instructors stress the importance of stretching. So, that leaves many of us adding stretches to our before and after workout routines.
What many people don’t realize is they should be stretching throughout the entire day. This is especially important if their job requires them to be straining their neck, back and shoulders for extended periods of time.
Dentists and their staff fall into this category and should be stretching regularly throughout the day. Here’s 5 simple stretches to help your team get started:
- Neck stretch: Gently pull your head towards your shoulder and hold for three deep breaths. Then, repeat this on the other side.
- Hip stretch: Lie with your back on the floor, cross your ankle over your knee and pull your legs towards your chest, holding for three deep breaths. Then, repeat this on the other side.
- Spinal twist: Sit cross-legged on the floor and gently twist to one side. Hold this for three deep breaths, then twist to the other side and repeat.
- Child’s Pose: This one isn’t just for Yogis anymore. Lie facedown with your knees tucked under you and your arms extended in front of you, palms down on the floor. You should feel a stretch from your shoulders down to your lower back. Hold this position for three deep breaths.
- Back stretch: Lie with your back on the floor, bring your knees up to your chest until you feel a stretch in your lower back. Hold this for three deep breaths.
In addition to these stretches, Bethany Valachi, physical therapist and dental ergonomic consultant, recommended the following stretches in an article featured in Dental Town’s magazine:
- Downward squeeze
- External rotation
- Side lift
- Lower abdominals
- Pointer dog
- Hamstring stretches
The Difference Ergonomic Products Can Make
At Crescent Products, we created our line of headrests and dental chair accessories not only with patient comfort, but dentist and dental assistant comfort in mind, as well. We did this by designing our products to align patients in a way that allows the doctors and their staff to sit with better posture and in-turn have less strain on their back and neck.
Want to experience the difference for yourself? Shop now to take advantage of our exclusive online pricing.